Because our society has grown so dependent upon the internet for marketing, networking and branding, it’s hard to imagine that the technology has only existed for about fifteen years. In such a short time, it’s become nearly impossible to manage your brand or protect it without some working knowledge of the internet. If you’re looking to keep your brand secure, here are ten tips that might smooth your path.
- Keep It Distinctive – The best brand names are those that are unique and easy to remember. As you begin to build your brand’s reputation, you’ll have to live with the name you’ve chosen or forced to start from square one. Take your time choosing a brand name, and make sure it sticks in the minds of your customers.
- Trademark It – While it’s not legally required, the best and most effective way to protect your brand name from trademark disputes is to register the name as soon as possible. There are a myriad of services that will run trademark and common-law searches to be sure that the name you’ve chosen isn’t already in use; it’s a good idea to utilize these services before attempting to register.
- Sign Up For Google Alerts – Using Google Alert will help you to track the reputation of your brand with little fuss. The first step to keeping your brand’s reputation up is to know what people are saying. With this service or others of its ilk, the process is painless.
- Design a Memorable Logo – A well-designed logo is an absolute must for establishing your brand; building an online presence as soon as possible will protect your brand from any confusion if a business with a similar name begins to do the same. Your logo will be the one that people recognize first, if it’s eye-catching.
- Go to War With Negative Reviews – Despite your best efforts, bad reviews will inevitably crop up. Disgruntled former employees or even competitors may seek to malign you by leaving undeserved poor reviews; make it a priority to learn how to “wash out” negative mentions.
- Create YouTube Videos – One of the first returns on almost any Google search is a related YouTube clip. Use this to your advantage by creating your own form of viral marketing videos; do something edgy and people will talk about your brand.
- Make Social Networking Work For You – Sites like Facebook and LinkedIn are crucial for raising brand awareness and protecting a brand name. Create profiles and build the strongest possible brand presence on the sites; in addition to being a top Google search return, these also allow customers to interact with you and to share information about your brand with one another.
- Blog Religiously – Start a blog, and update it with relevant content as often as possible. Informative blog entries will attract attention, boosting your online presence and creating a buzz about your brand.
- Twitter Away – Tweet, tweet and tweet some more. Retweet posts relevant to your brand, follow those who are following leaders in your industry, and create goodwill by helping to promote your peers.
- Make Sharing Simple – Add buttons to your website and blog that make sharing on Facebook, Digg and Twitter as simple as the click of a mouse. When content catches a user’s eye, they can easily share it with all of their friends and followers. These shares will boost your presence exponentially.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.